In 1773 the Chapel was re-modelled in the classical style to the design of James Essex, and, as part of those works, a burial crypt was created under the floor of the chapel (now the undergraduate library).
Subsequently, the coffins for three deceased senior members of Queens’ were placed in the crypt:
Subsequent building alterations have made it impossible either to get these coffins out of the crypt again, or to add new ones.
These photographs were taken in 1986: the coffins have deteriorated markedly since then.
The Old Chapel.
1948: Excavations in the Old Chapel, by John Wilson Findlay [Fellow], in The Dial, No. 97, Easter 1948, p. 31. (OCLC 265448755)