Congratulations on joining Queens’ College, and we look forward to welcoming you in October. Arrangements for incoming students are currently being made. As soon as these are settled, we will update the information on this page. Please check this page regularly, as further information and links to useful sites will be added over the coming weeks.
Pre-arrival and orientation information
- Queens' College Student Handbook: Information & Regulations 2020-21
- Schedule of Fees & Charges 2020-21
- The International Student Guide (PDF) and International Students website offer useful pre-arrival and orientation information.
- University’s new students’ site
Please complete the GP registration form upon your arrival.
Staying Safe in Michaelmas 2020
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, College life will be different than usual. With a view to protecting the health and safety of our staff and students and minimising the risk of infection, there will be in place measures regarding social distancing, wearing of masks, and limitations in the way accommodation and other College facilities are used. The College is preparing its own COVID-19 guide, which will take into account the features of our community and buildings, and students will be kept up to date with these plans as they are made. In the meantime, please familiarise yourself with the University’s coronavirus information at the following websites:
Passports and Visas (this section is applicable to ALL students)
All students will need to bring a form of photo ID (arrangements for scanning these are still to be confirmed). Please see a list of acceptable documents.
If you are travelling from overseas and require a visa to study in the UK please refer to the International Student Office’s website for information. You will not be able to matriculate without your passport and current Cambridge-sponsored visa, and you will be sent a link for you to upload your immigration documents after you have arrived in the UK, and before you start your course.
TIER 4 STUDENTS ONLY:
- BRP collection will be via the Porter's lodge, you will be contacted when your card is ready to collect.
- Police Registration (for students new to the UK only, and if required by your visa conditions) at the Student Services Centre on specific days. Students must book a time slot in advance: https://www.internationalstudents.cam.ac.uk/student-visa-responsibilities/police-registration.
Arriving in Cambridge
Please note that all information below is subject to change.
The first two weeks at the start of the Michaelmas Term are usually filled with introductory sessions, both at college and in the departments, completing administrative tasks and formal induction into the university and college.
On arrival you should collect your University card from the Porters’ Lodge.
You will be expected to attend the events marked with an * on the Freshers programmes (see specific Undergraduate and Postgraduate sections). This includes Matriculation, which marks the formal admission of a student to membership of both the University and the College, by signing the matriculation registers. This year, matriculation will take place online. Nevertheless, to mark the occasion, there will be a ceremony for the signing of the College Book and an individual (and possible, cohort) matriculation photograph will be taken. Further details will be available in the Undergraduate and Postgraduate sections in due course.
You will need to attend Faculty/Department inductions.
Open a UK bank account as soon as you arrive. International students should bring enough money to last their first week in Cambridge as it can take some time to open an account. The bank will need confirmation of your status as a student, and the Tutorial Office can provide you with such a letter, which will be sent you via e-mail, unless you specifically ask for a hard copy to be posted to you.
The Tutorial Office can provide you with Student status/proof of address letters for other purposes, by completing your request on-line. Please allow at least three working days for the Office to process your request, especially due to the high volume of requests at the start of the academic year. Please note that incoming freshers will receive any student status letters they requested by e-mail.
Set up your Cambridge e-mail address.
If you are receiving a maintenance loan from Student Finance, the Financial Office will be in contact with you with guidance on how to trigger the payment. Please read the further information.
Other sources of welcome and information
There are many other University organisations which provide welcome activities and/or useful services. These include:
- Pre-arrival Freshers' Events 2020, UK and overseas
- Cambridge University Student Union (CUSU)
- Graduate Union (GU)
- Cambridge Union Freshers' Guide
- Freshers' Guide for Polish students
Safety & Welfare
- University Counselling Service
- University Counselling Service: General Information for Students (PDF)
- Student Health & Welfare at Queens' College
- Students' Unions Advice Service
- Student Safety Leaflet (PDF)
- Student Survival Guide (because it's a jungle out there!) (PDF)
- Welcome to Cycling
- Welcome from Cambridgeshire Constabulary (police, PDF)
Key Tutorial Policies
- Key tutorial policies: