Silver Street has restricted vehicular access controls at its west end to or from the junction of Queen’s Road (the Backs), Sidgwick Avenue, and Newnham Road
- Queens’ College has 24-hour two-way access via Trumpington Street and Silver Street from its east end;
- From 06:00 to 10:00, there is access into Queens’ College from the Queen’s Road/Sidgwick Avenue junction;
- From 16:00 to 23:59, there is access out of Queens’ College to the Queen’s Road/Sidgwick Avenue junction;
- For other times and directions, Silver Street is blocked by traffic control regulations between Queens’ College and Queen’s Road.
Recommended route by road
- Leave the M11 motorway at Junction 12 and follow the signs for Cambridge A603;
- Follow this road, including a forced left-turn at traffic lights (at Grantchester Street) until you reach a roundabout;
- From 06:00 to 10:00 only, go straight across (first exit) into Newnham Road;
- At traffic lights, turn right into Silver Street and pass through traffic controls: Queens’ College entrances are on the left.
- At other times, turn right (second exit) onto Fen Causeway, part of the Ring Road A1134;
- At a mini-roundabout by the Royal Cambridge Hotel, turn left and keep in the left lane;
- Go straight across an immediate second mini-roundabout (at Lensfield Road), to head north up Trumpington Street;
- Go straight past the Mill Lane/Pembroke Street junction;
- At Silver Street, take a forced left turn (King’s Parade is closed to motor traffic);
- Follow Silver Street over the River Cam: Queens’ College entrances are immediately on the right.
If you join the Ring Road at a different point, follow the Central Area signs for Queens, until you reach the junction of Lensfield Road and Trumpington Street, then turn north up Trumpington Street, as above.
Parking at College is limited, and by permit only. Please telephone the Porters on 01223 335511 to check arrangements before you set out, and call at the Porters’ Lodge on arrival to pick up a parking permit. Students may not park at College, nor keep a car in Cambridge.