Sport is an important part of student life at Queens' - ranging from playing for fun and exercise to pursuing elite level challenges. The College has a fine sporting tradition, producing many Olympians and other international sportsmen and women.
There are Queens' teams in the following sports: Cricket, Football, Hockey, Netball, Rowing (Boat Club), Rugby, Running, Sailing, Squash, Table Tennis, Tennis, Volleyball, Water Polo.
The Sports Ground at Barton Road is one of the best in Cambridge and short cycle ride away. Students play athletics, badminton, basketball, chess, cricket, croquet, cross country, football, hockey, lacrosse, netball, pool, rowing, rugby, skiing, snowboarding, squash, table tennis, tennis, volleyball and water polo. Contact information for the Presidents of these teams can be found on the JCR website.
There is an annual Blues Dinner, hosted by the Fellows, to celebrate the achievements of our sportsmen and women who participate at University level.
There are signficant post-matriculation sports bursaries at Queens' to help with students pursuing both College sport and elite level sport.
The Lill Bursary; The Mike Turner Sports Bursary; The Eleanor Duck Bursary; The Richard Hargreaves Bursary; The Alex Stout Bursary, The George Band Bursary; The Griffin Bursary
The University also has a Cambridge Athlete Performance Programme (UCAPP) which supports the development of world class athletes, of whom Fiona Bunn (Queens') is one.
Recent Queens' sporting successes:
- Grace Prendergast, Caroline Breeden and Ruby Tew: competing in the Boat Races 2022
- Andrew Condron: Captain of CU Golf Club
- Tabbie Brough: Captain of CU Netball
- Ryan Hoffman & Tom Adelio: Football Blues
- James Horwill, Flip van der Merwe, Suwilanji Chibale, Elliott Stockdale, Archie Smeaton: Rugby Blues
- Victoire Gueroult: Women's Lacrosse Blues
- Min Xiu Tan: Squash Blues
- Ben Margetson-Rushmore: Hockey Blues
On the right-hand side are some further details about individual sports and clubs.
- The JCR website provides contact details for all sports clubs
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the JCR Sports & Societies Officer
- The MCR website provides information about all graduate sports clubs, including Queens' MCR football team (one of the most successful in the University)
- For information on sports awards, please see the information under "Financial Assistance".