The practice of colleges issuing stamps for college members to pre-pay for an inter-college messenger service started in 1870 at Oxford. At Cambridge, Selwyn started in 1882, Queens’ in 1883, and St John’s in 1884.
The Queens’ stamps were designed by Ernest Temperley (1849–89), Fellow and Bursar, and printed by W.P. Spalding in Cambridge. The design is based on the boar’s head badge of the college. The purchase price of a stamp was one halfpenny (approx. 0.2p).
Hardly had the system been established when the Post Office asserted its statutory monopoly of postal delivery, and of stamps: the college messenger service was closed down, and the use of these stamps prohibited, at the beginning of the Michaelmas Term 1885.
In partial recompense, the Post Office tried to offer an improved service of collections and deliveries around the colleges, and one consequence of this was that a red post-box appeared outside the main entrance of most colleges. At Queens’, the post-box was embedded in the south-east turret of the main gatehouse of Old Court, in Queens’ Lane. It is still there, but now disused and blocked.