- Intake: 2
- Typical Offer: A*AA
- Essential Subjects: none
- Desirable Subjects: Mathematics/Art
- Assessment: Cambridge College Registered Assessment
- Faculty website: www.aha.cam.ac.uk
- Architecture at Queens' is supported by The Seear Fund.
The BA course provides exemption from ARB/RIBA Part I and it is possible to complete all your architectural qualifications (ARB/RIBA Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3) in Cambridge. Prospective students should be aware that details of courses are subject to change. As in other RIBA-recognised architecture schools, the BA tripos studio work carries 60% of the marks. The remaining 40% is made up from exams and other forms of coursework (dissertations, etc). Studio-work in all years is handed in for marking halfway through the year and at the end of the year. Studio-work is time-consuming and probably requires more hours per week than any other course in the University. All first years travel abroad for a study week at Easter. Other trips are available throughout the course.
First year consists of studio-work and five lecture courses with written examinations at the end as follows:
- Introduction to Architectural history up to 1800
- Introduction to Architectural Theory from 1800
- Fundamental Principles of Construction
- Fundamental Principles of Structural Design
- Fundamental Principles of Environmental Design
Second Year consists of studio-work and four lecture courses:
- Studies in History and Theory of Architecture and Urbanism (Essays submitted during the year and written examination)
- Principles of Construction (written examination & coursework)
- Principles of Structural Design (written examination & coursework)
- Principles of Environmental Design (written examination & coursework)
There are six parts to the course in Third Year (studio work, four lecture courses examined by written papers, and a dissertation). The lecture courses are:
- Advanced Studies in Theoretical and Historical Aspects of Architecture and Urbanism (examined by written paper)
- Management, Practice and Law (examined by written paper)
- Advanced Studies in construction methods, building technologies and properties of materials, structural analysis, environmental analysis and design relating to case study buildings (examined by written paper)
- Architectural Engineering: Building Innovation (examined by coursework only)
As in all architecture courses, the studio work takes up most of the teaching time and involves design projects, resulting in a portfolio, which is submitted at the end of the year.
Architecture at Queens'
Weekly supervisions with Director of Studies in college in first year, as well as twice-weekly 1:1 studio supervisions in the faculty. Supervisions by specialists weekly, in second and third years and twice-weekly 1:1 studio supervisions in the Faculty. These arrangements are standard in the Faculty.
You will be requested to bring a portfolio to interview. Evidence of ability to draw from life (either still-life or life drawing) is essential. Photographs can be used to show sculpture or other three dimensional work. All Colleges will ask Architecture applicants to submit a PDF (6 A4 pages, and less than 15MB in size) of their own artwork prior to interview. The selection of images should, in part, reflect material you might bring to interview as part of your portfolio.There will be a short writing and drawing test set for all colleges. No preparation is required and no factual knowledge is required. More information can be found at http://www.cam.ac.uk/assessments. No preparation is required and no factual knowledge is required.
Director of Studies in Architecture & Art History
Dr James Campbell, Director of Studies
Current Research Architectural history, particularly the history of building construction and libraries.