In recent years, momentum for establishing Geography at Queens’ as a frontline subject has rocketed.
- A generous benefaction in 2015 allowed the College to appoint its inaugural Director of Studies in the subject (Dr Graham Denyer Willis).
- This Fellowship was then endowed in perpetuity in 2018 by Mr Chris Rokos.
- We have been able to appoint a teaching associate (Dr Rachael Turton) helping supervise.
- A further gift from Helena Pomfret (2012) and her family has created a Fund to help students cover their dissertation expenses.
- There is a strong and supportive community of student Geographers at Queens’, which includes four to six undergraduates admitted every year and a growing group of postgraduate students.
A message from Dr Graham Denyer Willis, Queens’ first Director of Studies in Geography…
“I’m delighted to some share remarkable news about Geography at Queens’.
In the last five years since I was made Queens’ first ever Geography Fellow, the College has endowed The Chris Rokos Fellowship in Geography and now has a unique opportunity to create a Geography Fund to support all our students (undergrads & postgrads) in their academic pursuits.
The University recently celebrated 100 years of the Geography Tripos and the subject is going from strength to strength at Queens’!”
Establishing a Geography Fund in perpetuity will support future generations of Queens’ Geographers. It will enrich provision for undergraduates and postgraduates by assisting them in a variety of areas, including:
- Academic related travel
- Books, equipment
- Research projects
- Vacation placements and fieldwork
- Establishing a Geography Society
An endowment of £100,000 will produce an annual amount for the Director of Studies in Geography to support his/her students. Now we need to add the final £3,000 that is required so funds can be disbursed during this academical year and over the long vacation, whilst the fund matures. Please help us raise this final £3,000 as soon as possible.
We aim to complete this as soon as possible to establish Geography on an equal footing with other endowed subjects (Milgate in Economics, Patterson in English, Macpherson in Law, Scott in Medicine, etc).
For further information about making a gift towards this Fund, or to discuss naming rights, please contact Mr Samuel Davis at email@example.com.
Photos: left, Dr Rachael Turton; right, Helena Pomfret.
- All donors will also be invited to a 1448 Society Garden party. Donor names will be published in the annual Gifts List, both on in print and online. Please let the Development Office know if you wish to remain anonymous.
- Donors who give £10,000 or more will be invited to the Commemoration & Ceremony of Benefactors and Feast for the three years following their gift.
- Please consult our website for Tax Efficient Giving options from abroad.
- All gifts towards this Geography Subject Fund will count towards the current Collegiate Cambridge’s Dear World, Yours Cambridge campaign.