This guide describes the steps necessary to configure the TCP/IP protocol within MacOS X for use on the University Data Network.
- Click on the Apple icon at the top-left of your screen
- Choose the System Preferences menu item.
- Choose Network from the Internet & Network section.
- Under Location, click New Location and choose a name appropriate for the setting, i.e. College.
- You can set multiple Locations for home, College or Department.
- In the ‘Show’ drop-down, choose Built-in Ethernet.
- Select the TCP/IP tab.
- In the ‘Configure IPv4’ drop-down, choose Using DHCP.
- In the ‘DNS Servers’ Field, delete any entry.
- In the ‘Search Domains’ field enter cam.ac.uk and press Return.
- Now click Configure IPv6...
- Under Configure IPv6, choose OFF, and then click OK.
- Now click the tab, PPPoE.
- Make sure, Connect using PPPoE is un-ticked.
- Now tick the Proxies tab.
- Set Configure Proxies to Manually.
- Under the heading, Select a proxy server to configure, scroll to the bottom and tick Automatic Proxy Configuration.
- Under Proxy Configuration File, enter the following the address;http://www.cam.ac.uk/proxyconfig.pac
- In the window, Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains, enter the following; *.ac.uk,*.ja.net, .ac.uk, .ja.net, sunsite.org.uk
- Now tick the Ethernet tab.
- Make sure that the Configure Drop-Down is set to Automatically.
- Click the Apply button.
Your computer is now configured for use on the College network and can be plugged into the wall socket in your room using an Ethernet cable (Cat5e or RJ45).
Open a web browser and try to go to any web site.
Our Firerack system will intercept your request, and you will see the following page
For new students, click on the Freshers Icon to collect your passwords.
If you already have your passwords, click on the RAVEN icon.
Log-in with your Raven account to register with Firerack.
Firerack will issue you with an IP address for use on the College Network, this address will stay with you until either you leave College accommodation with supported Etherent socket or you no longer wish to use the College Network.
When you complete the registration process and can connect to the Internet, do a Software update to give your computer maximum protection.
To ‘Update your Computer’, click on the Apple Icon and choose “Software Update”
Once your computer has been updated, unless you already have one, you will need to install an Anti-Virus program.
Virex can be downloaded from here and is free to use while you are studying in Cambridge from http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/support/anti-virus/macdownload