Student Health & Welfare


Welfare support in College is here to provide you with help and advice with a wide range of personal issues and general well-being.

A Tutor may be your first port of call, and often it is best to contact them by email to arrange a time to meet.  However, in case of emergency there is a Duty Tutor available at all times, who can be reached by asking the Porters to contact them for you.

Undergraduate students can approach either a Student Support Tutor or an Academic Tutor depending on the nature of the matter to be discussed.

- Student Support Tutors work in conjunction with the Welfare Team to assist students in overcoming any difficulty affecting their wellbeing or issues which might compromise their ability to study effectively, for example; health, welfare, financial or personal issues.  Students should feel free to contact either of the Student Support Tutors for advice, regardless of their subject or year.

- Academic Tutors provide support for students with specific academic related problems. Academic Tutors liaise with Directors of Study, the University, Faculties and Departments on the student's behalf. They can assist with processes such as: funding for academic travel, supervision changes, course concerns, underperformance, examination issues (including allowances), academic discipline, fitness to study, intermission and return to study (alongside other members of the SST).  Students should contact the Academic Tutor assigned to their subject (Arts or Sciences - details on the Tutors tab).

Graduate students can contact their named personal Tutor for any welfare or academic related matters, as well as any of the Welfare Team.

Contact details for all Tutors can be found under the Tutors tab.

- Welfare Team

In addition to the Tutors we have a Welfare Team consisting of three Welfare Advisers and a Registered Nurse.

The Welfare Advisers are Richard Geddis (DD2), Jenny Schiller (DD1) and Rev. Tim Harling (Cloister 2). All are highly trained and experienced at supporting others. 

College Nurse, Sister Emma Dellar (Health Centre, Cripps Court) is an experienced nurse who is able to support with a wide range of physical and mental health conditions, injuries and minor illnesses, give well being advice and information and liase with other health professionals.

Out of hours it may be possible to contact one of the Welfare Team through the Porters' Lodge, or Duty Tutor, if deemed necessary.

Richard Geddis Welfare Adviser 01223 335569 DD2, Cripps Court
Jenny Schiller Welfare Adviser 01223-768660 DD1, Cripps Court
Tim Harling Welfare Adviser 01223 335562 Cloister 2, Cloister Court
Emma Dellar College Nurse 01223 335578 College Health Centre, Cripps Court (between BB and CC staircases)


There are a number of student resources and support available in the local area, which you may find of use and the Welfare team can help signpost you, below are just a few...

Student Guide to Health care 2016  is a website written by local GP's and gives lots of information on health care.  The University Counselling Service website, providing lots of information including self-help guides for many mental health conditions, groups and workshops and an online application form to apply for therapy/counselling.   Contact the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) for support, information and advice on disability matters.  The DRC can assist with questions relating to funding, screening, support and reasonable adjustments. Email the DRC or phone 01223 332301 and ask for an appointment. the Students' Union Advice Service