|before 1446||Andrew Dokett was already Principal of St Bernard’s Hostel on a site now occupied by the New Court of Corpus Christi College. He was also Rector of St Botolph’s, the church of the parish within which Queens’ College lies.|
|1446 Dec 3||Andrew Dokett obtained a Charter from King Henry VI to found St Bernard’s College on a site now part of St Catharine’s College.|
|1447 Aug 21||First Charter revoked. Andrew Dokett obtained a new charter from King Henry VI to found St Bernard’s College on the present site of Old Court and Cloister Court.|
|1447-8?||Petition of Margaret of Anjou to her husband the King to have the foundation and naming of the new college. Second Charter returned to the King and the lands of St Bernard’s College surrendered to him.|
|1448 Mar 30||Letters Patent from King Henry VI to Queen Margaret granting her the lands of St Bernard’s College and licence to found a college.|
|1448 Apr 15||Charter of Queen Margaret to found the Queen’s College of St Margaret and St Bernard.|
|1448 Apr 15||Sir John Wenlock, Chamberlain to Queen Margaret, lays the foundation stone at the south east corner of the chapel.|
|1448||First part of Old Court completed: the Library, Chapel, E stairs, Gatehouse, A stairs and part of B stairs.|
|1449||King Henry VI gives £200 for the buildings.|
|1449-50||Old Court completed: remainder of B stairs, C stairs, Kitchens, Hall.|
|1454||Chapel licensed for services.|
|1460?||Riverside buildings erected, now part of President’s Lodge.|
|1465||Queen Elizabeth Woodville becomes Patroness.|
|1475||First Statutes given by Elizabeth Woodville.|
|1475||Land west of the river (between the Cam and what is now Queens’ Ditch) purchased from the Town. The southern boundary of this land was a new east-west ditch from the Cam to the stream running down from Newnham Mill, thus making the new land into an island. The causeway between the new ditch and the mill pool was known as Small Bridges, later known as Silver Street.|
|1477||First endowment by Richard Duke of Gloucester.|
|1484||Death of Andrew Dokett. In his will, he bequeaths to the College his garden (opposite the main gatehouse of Queens’), later known as the Tennis Court Garden. This had been part of the land put together for the original St Bernard’s College (see 1446). He also charged the College with the upkeep of his Almshouses close by, on what is now Silver Street. He also bequeathed St Bernard’s Hostel to the College after the death of his executors.|
|1484||Magnum Journale begun.|
|1484||Second endowment by Richard Duke of Gloucester, now King Richard III.|
|1485||All endowments from Richard III and Anne Neville taken away by King Henry VII.|
|1495?||Cloister walkways built, thus creating Cloister Court.|
|1501-2||Canvas hangings decorate Hall.|
|1506||First visit of Erasmus.|
|1510-15?||Second visit of Erasmus.|
|1529||Statutes confirmed by Pope Clement VII|
|1531-2||Linenfold panelling erected in Hall.|
|1534||St Bernard’s Hostel (see 1484) sold to Corpus Christi College.|
|1538||Carmelites surrender their monastery site, purchase by college completed in 1544.|
|1539||Gardens and walks laid out on island west of the river.|
|1545||Brick wall built around President’s Garden, on former Carmelite land.|
|1548||Screens passage and gallery created to isolate Hall from through traffic.|
|1548||Chapel walls ordered to be whitewashed.|
|1551||Boundary wall between Queens’ and King’s built, incorporating wall of former Carmelite chapel.|
|1553||Fellows’ Garden laid out (now Erasmus Lawn).|
|1555||A bridge made from bowling-green to grove west of the river.|
|1559||Chapel High Altar taken down.|
|1560||Payments for “Master’s Upper Chambers”. Possibly attics of Lodge?|
|1564||Buildings erected in Pump Court on what is now the site of Essex Building.|
|1575||Grant of Arms by Robert Cooke, Clarencieux King-of-Arms.
College arms erected in stone over entrance to screens passage in Old Court.
|1595 - 1602?||Probable date of erection of (or adaptation of earlier building to form) present Long Gallery.|
|1612||Library lecterns converted to bookshelves, by Andrew Chapman.|
|1616-18||Walnut Tree Building erected.|
|1637||Date of casting of the Chapel Bell.|
|1638||Queens’ constructs a “Stagehouse” on Queens’ Lane, roughly opposite the Chapel, on land which had probably been part of the original site intended for St Bernard’s College. There is academic dispute as to whether this stagehouse was a theatre, or a store-house for the dismountable stage referred to below (1640).|
|1640||Inventory of dismountable stage or theatre used in Hall, with instructions for re-assembly.|
|1642||Sundial erected in Old Court on the south wall of the chapel.|
|1642||College sends all its silver to help the King. President emprisoned by parliamentarians.|
|1643||William Dowsing spoils the Chapel.|
|1644||President (Edward Martin) and all Fellows ejected.|
|1655||Queens’ leased to the University land (including the 1638 stagehouse) on the corner of Queens’ Lane and Silver Street, on which the University Printing House would be constructed. Part of this land had probably been part of the original site intended for St Bernard’s College.|
|1655||Date of casting of the Dinner Bell.|
|1660||Edward Martin restored as President, and some ejected Fellows restored.|
|1667-72||Orchard on island site enclosed by brick wall (present site of Cripps Court).|
|1676||St Catharine’s Hall wished, in order to put up a new Master’s Lodge, to lease a ten foot wide strip of land 36 yards long from the north side of the Tennis Court Garden bequeathed to Queens’ by Andrew Dokett (see 1484). Queens’ were unsure that they have the legal power to do this.|
|1677||Queens’ engaged Sir Isaac Newton to give an opinion on how much light would be blocked from the Chapel window by the proposed new building of St Catharine Hall.|
|1677||King Charles II wrote to Queens’ in support of the request from St Catharine’s Hall.
St Catharine’s built their new Masters’ Lodge on the ten foot strip of land.
|1684||With King’s College, a path called Erasmus’s Walk was constructed along the northern edge of Queens’ Green, alongside the ditch separating the Green from King’s. This is probably also the date of construction of a bridge from the northern tip of the Grove across Queens’ Ditch to Erasmus’s Walk on Queens’ Green.|
|1685||Many repairs and renovations in Old Court, probably completely reroofed. Dormer windows made regular. Oriel window repaired. Great gate altered (probably this was when the present wicket gate was cut in the northern leaf of the gate, instead of the smaller wicket in the southern leaf).|
|1685||Loggan draws his view of college.|
|1685-6||Queens’ lease to St Catharine’s the 10-foot strip of land asked for in 1676.|
|1686||Combination Room panelled by Austin.|
|1695||Date of flagstone in cloister under Long Gallery enscribed I. Poley, Burſar. Not a gravestone!|
|1696||The University erect a new Printing House on the site of the stagehouse (see 1638) leased from Queens’ (see 1655). There is an academic dispute as to whether the new Printing House incorporated the former stagehouse, or whether it was an entirely new building after the stagehouse was demolished. In 1697 Queens’ received rent of £1 10s. “Of the Vicechancellr for ye University for the new printing-house formerly ye Stage house.”|
|1697||Stables built on island site.|
|1704||Queens’ pays for the Materia Medica cabinet of John Francis Vigani, Professor of Chemistry. Vigani left Cambridge in 1708, and Queens’ retained the cabinet.|
|1707||Queens’ re-leased to St Catharine’s the 10-foot strip of land (see 1676) for 20 shillings per year.|
|1707||University stopped using the 1696 Printing House for printing; it became a warehouse.|
|1711||Stone frames and sash windows inserted in oriel window of Audit Room.|
|1716||University passed the disused 1696 printing house (see 1707) as a Lecture Room to the Professors of Anatomy and Chemistry.|
|1729||Queens’ re-leased to St Catharine’s the 10-foot strip of land (see 1707) together with another strip 8 feet wide on average 123′ 6″ long taken from the north of the Tennis Court Garden, at a combined rent of £2 per year.|
|1732-4||Hall re-panelled and decorated in classical style, to the design of James Burrough.
Wrought iron screen and gates by Jonas Jackson.
Former linenfold panelling (see 1531) removed to the servants’ hall of the President’s Lodge.
|1733||A clock erected, and sundial newly painted.|
|1749-50||Wooden bridge built between Cloister Court and island site by James Essex the Younger to the design of William Etheridge.|
|1751||The 1729 lease to St Catharine’s was renewed in the same terms.|
|1756-60||Buildings of 1564 demolished. New building erected in classical style, to the design of James Essex the Younger.|
|1761||Offices erected in President’s Garden adjacent to Long Gallery, to replace offices lost when 1564 building demolished.|
|1766||Large portraits put up in Hall of Erasmus, Elizabeth Woodville, Thomas Smith.|
|1772||Library enlarged by absorbing part of a set between the Library and the Chapel.|
|1773-5||Chapel altered in classical style to the design of James Essex. Flat ceiling installed, east window lowered. Burial vault constructed.|
|1774||Windows in Old Court ordered to be scraped (that is, have their cusps removed).|
|1777||Fire in Walnut-Tree Building, upper floors rebuilt 1778-82.|
|1782||Mr Milner given permission to build a Chemical Laboratory in the Stable Yard adjoinyng to the Coal House.|
|1786||At some point in or after 1786, the Professor of Chemistry abandoned using the Lecture Room shared with the Professor of Anatomy (see 1716). The building was now known as the Anatomical Schools.|
|1789||A dispute arose with St Catharine’s Hall over terms for the renewal of the lease (see 1751) of the strips of land to the north of the Tennis Court Garden. Lease eventually granted.|
|1791||New staircase built for President’s Lodge.|
|1793||Bridge from Bowling-Green to Grove removed.|
|1795 Feb||College badly flooded, reportedly waist-deep in the cloisters.|
|1799||St Catharine’s Hall seek an Opinion from the Attorney General. In order to avoid any further disputes over leases, St Catharine’s had offered to purchase the two strips of land (see 1789) from Queens’, but Queens’ had named a price of £530, for an estimated area of 252 sq yds. Stalemate.|
|1804||Old chapel bell-tower demolished, new library extension built, clock-tower erected on roof of library.|
|1813||Queens’ resolves to end the dispute with St Catharine’s (see 1799). The two strips of land plus all the rest that remained of the old Tennis Court Garden were sold to St Catharine’s for £1372.|
|1813||The Town Corporation grant to Mr Robert Brown the land on the Small Bridges causeway between the road and the ditch forming the southern boundary of the 1475 island purchase, on Fee Farm of £3 per year (see 1841).|
|1819||Queens’ sells the Printing House and site (see 1655) to the University for £750.|
|1819?||Battlements erected in Old Court.|
|1819-22||Stained glass by Charles Muss inserted in Hall (removed 1854-8) and Combination Room.|
|1820||Library re-roofed and repaired.|
|1822||Paint removed from oak panelling in the Audit Room.|
|1822||Statutes and Interpretations collected, edited, printed and bound by G.C. Gorham.|
|1823||Form of Service for Commemoration of Benefactors edited, printed and bound, probably also by G.C. Gorham. The name of the college is spelt Queens’ with the apostrophe after the s, the earliest instance of this seen in print.|
|1823-6||New furniture purchased for the President’s Lodge from Mr Elliot Smith.|
|1823||Battlements added to Walnut Tree Building. Great Gate re-roofed.|
|1827||Catalogue of Library by T.H. Horne published. The name of the college is spelt Queen’s, with the apostrophe before the s, throughout (see 1823 and 1831).|
|1831||The spelling of the college’s name in the calendar changes from Queen’s to Queens’ (see 1823)|
|1831||Earliest known record of the college Boat Club.|
|1831||The time of Dinner moved from 3 o’clock to 4 o’clock.|
|1833||Assumed date when the Professor of Anatomy vacated the Anatomical Schools (see 1786) and moved to new University accommodation.|
|1835||Gas lighting installed.|
|1836||Queens’ re-purchased (see 1819) Old Printing House and site from the University for £3600.|
|1836||Queens’ sold site of Old Printing House (see 1655) , Anatomical Schools (see 1786) and Dokett Almshouses (see 1484) to St Catharine’s Hall for £7965 2s. 10d.|
|1836||Queens’ erected almshouses on site now occupied by Dokett Building, to replace those sold.|
|1836||Date enscribed on decorative chimney stacks over Old Hall.|
|1837||Rooms D1 and D2 under the Library were appropriated to the use of the Library.|
|1838||Party walls erected as a fire precaution.|
|1840||Significant alterations in the Library. Probably the 1804 building was internally altered and the present staircase built, with a new doorway into the Lower Library (see 1837).|
|1841||The ditch parallel with Silver Street connecting Queens’ Ditch to the main stream of the Cam was filled in and thus the former island site was no more. Presumably by this time Queens’ had acquired the land between the ditch and the road (see 1813), comprising houses known as Nos 1 and 2 Newnham, and a builder’s yard.|
|1845||Flat ceiling of Chapel removed, present coved ceiling built in imitation of old.|
|1846||Flat ceiling of Hall removed; new roof, bell-tower and louvre created to the design of Dawkes.|
|1846-8||Stained glass inserted in East and North windows of Chapel (removed 1925).|
|1848||Clock-tower erected to the design of Raphael Brandon (taken down 1909).|
|1854||Oriel of Hall restored, new stained glass inserted by Hardman.
Old glass by Muss (see 1819-22) moved to President’s Lodge.
|1854||Choral services re-introduced in Chapel.|
|1857||Paint removed from oak panelling in the Long Gallery.|
|1857-9||Side windows of Hall raised in height with new tracery to the design of John Johnson, architect, and new stained glass by Hardman of Birmingham.
Possible date of erection of battlements over Hall in Cloister Court.
|1858-61||Chapel completely restored by G.F. Bodley.|
|1860||Statutes reformed: Fellows allowed to marry, and not required to be in holy orders, under certain conditions.|
|1861-2||New fireplace in Hall by Bodley, overmantel tiles by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.|
|1862||New tiled floor in Hall.|
|1862||St Bernard Society (debating club) founded|
|1863||Saying of Grace before and after Dinner introduced or revised.|
|1864||Eleven coats of arms over Hall fireplace designed by Philip Webb.|
|1864||Date of tower clock mechanism, by T. Cooke & Sons of York.|
|1865||Present High Table and chairs purchased.|
|1866-7||Wooden bridge rebuilt with slopes instead of steps.|
|1867||History of College, Part 1, 1446-1560, by W.G. Searle published.|
|1868||Queens’ leased the house(s) on the corner of Silver Street and Trumpington Street to W.M. Fawcett, who built a large new house there (now a tailor’s shop). The lease did not provide, as earlier leases had done, that the best room or lodging in the house should be reserved for the Rector of St Botolph’s. This was not a problem at that time, as the Rector was a resident Fellow, but would become one later.|
|1871||History of College, Part 2, 1560-1662, by W.G. Searle, published.|
|1871-2||Further minor changes to Chapel to the design of G.F. Bodley.|
|1873||Lawn for out of door games prepared on land west of the river.|
|1873||Ford Madox Brown designs tiles to be made by Morris & Co. of Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville, incorporated into overmantel in Hall.|
|1874||Fives Court constructed. Survived, though disused, until Cripps Court constructed.|
|1875||Hall decorated to Bodley’s design by F.R. Leach.|
|1875||East frontage of Old Court restored by W.M. Fawcett.|
|1881||Amalgamated Clubs created out of the tennis, cricket, and rugby clubs.|
|1881||Jointly with St Catharine’s, Queens’ bought a sports field at the corner of Newnham Road and Barton Road.|
|1883||College assumed responsibility for furnishing student rooms. Previously a student purchased from the previous tenant, and sold on to the next.|
|1884||First soccer match played by College.|
|1884||St Margaret Society founded.|
|1885||New lecture room made (presumably west of river).|
|1886-7||Friar’s Building erected to the design of W.M. Fawcett. First occupied October 1887.|
|1888-91||New Chapel erected to the design of G.F. Bodley.
Three stained glass windows by Hardman moved from south windows of old Chapel to new.
New stained glass in east and north windows by Kempe. Organ by J.J. Binns.
|1892||After closure of the old Chapel, it was agreed to send the choir stalls to Little Eversden, the oak lectern to Sandon, and two of the choir desks to Oakington. The reredos was moved to St Mark’s, Barton Road.|
|1892||New student rooms made on E staircase following the removal of the organ loft for Old Chapel.|
|1896-8||College connected to main sewerage system and sewers laid throughout college.|
|1897||Central heating and electric lighting installed in President’s Lodge, to the design of T.D. Atkinson.|
|1897||Side panelling in new Chapel extended to east end.|
|1898||Friars’ Gate made.|
|1899||Ante-Chapel floor relaid, with tablets, etc. (? presumably the Old Chapel)|
|1899||Boar’s Head shields and Eagles made for iron gates to Silver Street.|
|1899||Electric lighting installed throughout college by Messrs Drake & Gorham.|
|1900||Linenfold panelling (see 1531) moved from old servants’ hall (see 1732) to the President’s Study above the Combination Room.|
|1901||Boiler installed for heating Chapel, Library and Hall. (Presumably this is the underground boilerhouse in Walnut Tree Court adjacent to the Munro Room).|
|1903||Alterations made in the riverside buildings of the President’s Lodge, to the design of Thackeray H. Turner.|
|1903||Water mains and fire hydrants installed throughout college.|
|1905||Wooden bridge completely rebuilt.|
|1907||Northmost almshouse demolished and site sold to King’s College.
Queens’ bought Sports Ground on Barton Road from King’s College.
|1907||First telephones installed for the President, Senior Bursar, and Porters’ Lodge.|
|1909||Battlements removed from Hall, N and W sides of Old Court.
Brandon clock-tower demolished and replaced with present one 1910, to the design of C.G. Hare.
|1909||WCs and bicycle sheds erected.|
|1909||New iron bridge over ditch from tip of Grove to Queens’ Green (see 1684). Iron guard under bridge to prevent boats passing up the ditch.|
|1909||Ground floor rooms of Walnut Tree Court repaired and restored.|
|1911||Set now known as Cloister 2 created, and adjacent WCs.|
|1911||Long Gallery plaster removed, finished in half-timbered style, to the design of C.G. Hare.|
|1911-12||Almshouses (1836) demolished. Dokett Building erected to the design of C.G. Hare. First occupied October 1912.|
|1912||Plaster ceiling removed from President’s Study, revealing rafters.
Plaster ceiling removed from Combination Room, revealing rafters.
Paint removed from oak panelling in Combination Room.
|1912||Kitchens enlarged. Staircase I, Erasmus Room and attics above altered.|
|1914||Telephone exchange installed, with extensions to all Fellows.
Pay telephone installed in the Bernard Room (now Erasmus Room).
|1923||New plaster ceiling to Long Gallery to the design of C.G. Hare.
Cloisters beside President’s Lodge kitchen given studwork appearance.
|1925-6||Old Chapel: remaining stained glass taken down and sent to Little Eversden. Panelling removed. Floor made flat. Made into Lecture Room.|
|1926||Battlements removed from E and S sides of Old Court.|
|1926||First Junior Common Room created in the Bernard Room (now Erasmus Room), under the management of the Committee of the United Clubs.|
|1932||New gates made from yard to Silver Street (demolished 1935).|
|1932||Kennett Library bequeathed to College and made into Oriental Library in attics above the Library.|
|1934||Interior of E staircase, Old Court, gutted and rebuilt to the design of G.C. Drinkwater. Porters’ Lodge moved from south side of gate tower to north. Drinkwater was to be the architect of Fisher Building (see 1936), and many design features of his work in E staircase can be seen again in Fisher.|
|1935||Railings removed from front of College in Queens’ Lane.|
|1935 May||Nos 1 and 2 Newnham, the builder’s yard (see 1841) and all other buildings west of the river (except that destined to become the Fitzpatrick Hall) demolished.|
|1936||Small exchange of land with Borough Council to permit Silver Street to be widened, and for College to straighten its boundary with Queens’ Green. Queens’ Ditch was filled in from Silver Street back to its present end-point, and converted to conduit.|
|1936||Fisher Building and Squash Courts erected. Former stables (see 1697) converted to Fitzpatrick Hall. All to the design of G.C. Drinkwater. Fisher Building first occupied October 1936.|
|1936||Bridge from tip of Grove to Queens’ Green removed. Posts and chain put across ditch.|
|1937||Junior Common Room moved into Fitzpatrick Hall.|
|1938-9||Essex Building underpinned after the river had washed away its foundations.
The college planned to demolish Essex Building to allow Silver Street to be widened, and erect a smaller building by Drinkwater. Plans for Silver Street vetoed by Ministry of Transport.
|1947||Fisher Building flooded. River wall collapsed.|
|1949||Queen Elizabeth (wife of King George VI and later to become the Queen Mother) becomes Patroness.|
|1950||Start of conversion of Friars’ Building from 2 sets to 4 bedsits per landing.|
|1951-2||Old Chapel fitted out as War Memorial Library.|
|1951?||Louvre by Dawkes (see 1846) removed from Hall.|
|1952||New Chapel decoration restored by S.E. Dykes Bower.|
|1957||Kitchens refitted, and expand into the bedroom of C2.|
|1959||North Room and Middle Room created behind the Fitzpatrick Hall.|
|1959-60||Erasmus Building erected to the design of Basil Spence. First occupied October 1960.|
|1961||Hall decoration repainted.|
|1961 June 5||Formal opening of Erasmus Building by H.M. The Queen Mother, Patroness.|
|1964||New Pavilion completed at Sports Ground, Barton Road.|
|1964||Erasmus Room refitted and furnished as an overflow Hall.|
|1965||Former Lower Library (see 1837) made into a new extension of the Combination Room, and named the Munro Room.|
|1965||Old Court lawns altered, planting beds made, and court repaved.|
|1965||Hot and cold running water introduced into Old Court. Central heating also.|
|1967||South eastern tower of Old Court, at junction of Queens’ Lane and Silver Street, rebuilt.|
|1968||Council of the College Union, and JCR Committee, created and assumed the organisational role of the Committee of the United Clubs (which ceased to exist), plus new representational roles.|
|1969||College Bar opened in ground floor of Fitzpatrick Hall.|
|1969||College converted from 200 to 240 volt electricity, and from town to natural gas.|
|1969||A student demonstration (against guest regulations and gate hours) in Cloister Court resulted in a snowball shattering an ancient piece of stained glass in the Long Gallery.|
|1970||Cripps Court Phase 1 started, to the design of Powell, Moya & Partners.
Orchard wall of 1667-72 demolished except for northern side, which survived.
|1971||Fitzpatrick Hall demolished.|
|1971||Oriental Library converted to Law Library. The Kennett collection was sent on loan to the Oriental Studies Faculty.|
|1974 Oct||Cripps Court Phase 1 (AA to DD and most of EE) completed, first students move in.|
|1974-6||Central heating installed in Fisher Building.|
|1975||The Porters’ Lodge moved from Old Court to Fisher Building.
New JCR and Bar opened in Cripps Court.
|1978 May||Gardens and Grove flooded, Cripps Court basement flooded.|
|1979 Jan||Cripps Court Kitchens and Dining Hall open (first part of Phase 2 to complete).|
|1980||Partial collapse of river wall of Grove.|
|1980||Four student rooms in Friars’ Building converted to baths, WCs, and showers.|
|1980 Oct||Admission of women.|
|1981||The remainder of EE and the whole of FF staircase completed, first occupied April 1981. Buttery and Shop open.|
|1983||Cripps Court launderette, toilets and Angevin Room completed. Phase 2 complete.|
|1983||Cloister staircase stripped back to studwork and redecorated as half-timbering, and a blocked doorway to the President’s Lodge re-opened.|
|1983||Substantial repairs to Long Gallery, including complete replastering. President’s Lodge re-roofed. President’s Housekeeper’s Flat extended. Visitors’ Cloakroom extended into old offices.|
|1983-4||The BBC film a series on Queens’, a Cambridge College.|
|1983-4||Room C1 restored to residential use after having been part of the old kitchens.|
|1985||Essex Building roof re-slated.|
|1985||Cripps Court Phase 1 re-roofed.|
|1986 June||Boathouse demolished. New Boathouse started.|
|1986 July||Squash Courts demolished. Cripps Court Phase 3 started, to the design of Bland, Brown & Cole.|
|1987 Feb||Boat Club move into new Boathouse.|
|1988 July||Owlstone Croft purchased. Block A and part of Block B first occupied October 1988.|
|1989||Cripps Court Phase 3 completed. The new theatre is called the Fitzpatrick Hall.|
|1989 Oct||Remainder of Owlstone Croft Block B occupied.|
|... more to come|