Chronology

before 1446Andrew Dokett was already Principal of St Bernard's Hostel on a site now occupied by the New Court of Corpus Christi College. He was also Rector of St Botolph's, the church of the parish within which Queens' College lies.
1446 Dec 3Andrew Dokett obtained a Charter from King Henry VI to found St Bernard's College on a site now part of St Catharine's College.
1447 Aug 21First Charter revoked. Andrew Dokett obtained a new charter from King Henry VI to found St Bernard's College on the present site of Old Court and Cloister Court.
1447-8?Petition of Margaret of Anjou to her husband the King to have the foundation and naming of the new college. Second Charter returned to the King and the lands of StBernard's College surrendered to him.
1448 Mar 30Letters Patent from King Henry VI to Queen Margaret granting her the lands of St Bernard's College and licence to found a college.
1448 Apr 15Charter of Queen Margaret to found the Queen's College of St Margaret and St Bernard.
1448 Apr 15Sir John Wenlock, Chamberlain to Queen Margaret, lays the foundation stone at the south east corner of the chapel.
1448First part of Old Court completed: the Library, Chapel, E stairs, Gatehouse, A stairs and part of B stairs.
1449King Henry VI gives 200 for the buildings.
1449-50Old Court completed: remainder of B stairs, C stairs, Kitchens, Hall.
1454Chapel licensed for services.
1460?Riverside buildings erected, now part of President's Lodge.
1465Queen Elizabeth Woodville becomes Patroness.
1475First Statutes given by Elizabeth Woodville.
1475Land west of the river (between the Cam and what is now Queens' Ditch) purchased from the Town. The southern boundary of this land was a new east-west ditch from the Cam to the stream running down from Newnham Mill, thus making the new land into an island. The causeway between the new ditch and the mill pool was known as Small Bridges, later known as Silver Street.
1477First endowment by Richard Duke of Gloucester.
1484Death of Andrew Dokett. In his will, he bequeaths to the College his garden (opposite the main gatehouse of Queens'), later known as the Tennis Court Garden. This had been part of the land put together for the original StBernard's College (see 1446). He also charged the College with the upkeep of his Almshouses close by, on what is now Silver Street. He also bequeathed StBernard's Hostel to the College after the death of his executors.
1484Magnum Journale begun.
1484Second endowment by Richard Duke of Gloucester, now King Richard III.
1485All endowments from Richard III and Anne Neville taken away by King Henry VII.
1495?Cloister walkways built, thus creating Cloister Court.
1501-2Canvas hangings decorate Hall.
1506First visit of Erasmus.
1510-15?Second visit of Erasmus.
1529Statutes confirmed by Pope Clement VII
1531-2Linenfold panelling erected in Hall.
1533Brewhouse built.
1534StBernard's Hostel (see 1484) sold to Corpus Christi College.
1538Carmelites surrender their monastery site, purchase by college completed in 1544.
1539Gardens and walks laid out on island west of the river.
1545Brick wall built around President's Garden, on former Carmelite land.
1548Screens passage and gallery created to isolate Hall from through traffic.
1548Chapel walls ordered to be whitewashed.
1551Boundary wall between Queens' and King's built, incorporating wall of former Carmelite chapel.
1553Fellows' Garden laid out (now Erasmus Lawn).
1555A bridge made from bowling-green to grove west of the river.
1559Chapel High Altar taken down.
1560Payments for "Master's Upper Chambers". Possibly attics of Lodge?
1564Buildings erected in Pump Court on what is now the site of Essex Building.
1575Grant of Arms by Robert Cooke, Clarencieux King-of-Arms.
College arms erected in stone over entrance to screens passage in Old Court.
1595 - 1602?Probable date of erection of (or adaptation of earlier building to form) present Long Gallery.
1612Library lecterns converted to bookshelves, by Andrew Chapman.
1616-18Walnut Tree Building erected.
1637Date of casting of the Chapel Bell.
1638Queens' constructs a "Stagehouse" on Queens' Lane, roughly opposite the Chapel, on land which had probably been part of the original site intended for StBernard's College. There is academic dispute as to whether this stagehouse was a theatre, or a store-house for the dismountable stage referred to below (1640).
1640Inventory of dismountable stage or theatre used in Hall, with instructions for re-assembly.
1642Sundial erected in Old Court on the south wall of the chapel.
1642College sends all its silver to help the King. President emprisoned by parliamentarians.
1643William Dowsing spoils the Chapel.
1644President (Edward Martin) and all Fellows ejected.
1655Queens' leased to the University land (including the 1638 stagehouse) on the corner of Queens' Lane and Silver Street, on which the University Printing House would be constructed. Part of this land had probably been part of the original site intended for StBernard's College.
1655Date of casting of the Dinner Bell.
1660Edward Martin restored as President, and some ejected Fellows restored.
1661Chapel restored.
1667-72Orchard on island site enclosed by brick wall (present site of Cripps Court).
1676StCatharine's Hall wished, in order to put up a new Master's Lodge, to lease a ten foot wide strip of land 36 yards long from the north side of the Tennis Court Garden bequeathed to Queens' by Andrew Dokett (see 1484). Queens' were unsure that they have the legal power to do this.
1677Queens' engaged Sir Isaac Newton to give an opinion on how much light would be blocked from the Chapel window by the proposed new building of StCatharine Hall.
1677King Charles II wrote to Queens' in support of the request from StCatharine's Hall.
StCatharine's built their new Masters' Lodge on the ten foot strip of land.
1684With King's College, a path called Erasmus's Walk was constructed along the northern edge of Queens' Green, alongside the ditch separating the Green from King's. This is probably also the date of construction of a bridge from the northern tip of the Grove across Queens' Ditch to Erasmus's Walk on Queens' Green.
1685Many repairs and renovations in Old Court, probably completely reroofed. Dormer windows made regular. Oriel window repaired. Great gate altered (probably this was when the present wicket gate was cut in the northern leaf of the gate, instead of the smaller wicket in the southern leaf).
1685Loggan draws his view of college.
1685-6Queens' lease to StCatharine's the 10-foot strip of land asked for in 1676.
1686Combination Room panelled by Austin.
1695Date of flagstone in cloister under Long Gallery enscribed I. Poley, Burfar. Not a gravestone!
1696The University erect a new Printing House on the site of the stagehouse (see 1638) leased from Queens' (see 1655). There is an academic dispute as to whether the new Printing House incorporated the former stagehouse, or whether it was an entirely new building after the stagehouse was demolished. In 1697 Queens' received rent of 110s. "Of the Vicechancellr for ye University for the new printing-house formerly ye Stage house."
1697Stables built on island site.
1704Queens' pays for the Materia Medica cabinet of John Francis Vigani, Professor of Chemistry. Vigani left Cambridge in 1708, and Queens' retained the cabinet.
1707Queens' re-leased to StCatharine's the 10-foot strip of land (see 1676) for 20 shillings per year.
1707University stopped using the 1696 Printing House for printing; it became a warehouse.
1711Stone frames and sash windows inserted in oriel window of Audit Room.
1716University passed the disused 1696 printing house (see 1707) as a Lecture Room to the Professors of Anatomy and Chemistry.
1729Queens' re-leased to StCatharine's the 10-foot strip of land (see 1707) together with another strip 8 feet wide on average 123' 6" long taken from the north of the Tennis Court Garden, at a combined rent of 2 per year.
1732-4Hall re-panelled and decorated in classical style, to the design of James Burrough.
Wrought iron screen and gates by Jonas Jackson.
Former linenfold panelling (see 1531) removed to the servants' hall of the President's Lodge.
1733A clock erected, and sundial newly painted.
1749-50Wooden bridge built between Cloister Court and island site by James Essex the Younger to the design of William Etheridge.
1751The 1729 lease to StCatharine's was renewed in the same terms.
1756-60Buildings of 1564 demolished. New building erected in classical style, to the design of James Essex the Younger.
1761Offices erected in President's Garden adjacent to Long Gallery, to replace offices lost when 1564 building demolished.
1766Large portraits put up in Hall of Erasmus, Elizabeth Woodville, Thomas Smith.
1772Library enlarged by absorbing part of a set between the Library and the Chapel.
1773-5Chapel altered in classical style to the design of James Essex. Flat ceiling installed, east window lowered. Burial vault constructed.
1774Windows in Old Court ordered to be scraped (that is, have their cusps removed).
1777Fire in Walnut-Tree Building, upper floors rebuilt 1778-82.
1782Mr Milner given permission to build a Chemical Laboratory in the Stable Yard adjoinyng to the Coal House.
1786At some point in or after 1786, the Professor of Chemistry abandoned using the Lecture Room shared with the Professor of Anatomy (see 1716). The building was now known as the Anatomical Schools.
1789A dispute arose with StCatharine's Hall over terms for the renewal of the lease (see 1751) of the strips of land to the north of the Tennis Court Garden. Lease eventually granted.
1791New staircase built for President's Lodge.
1793Bridge from Bowling-Green to Grove removed.
1795 FebCollege badly flooded, reportedly waist-deep in the cloisters.
1799StCatharine's Hall seek an Opinion from the Attorney General. In order to avoid any further disputes over leases, StCatharine's had offered to purchase the two strips of land (see 1789) from Queens', but Queens' had named a price of 530, for an estimated area of 252 sq yds. Stalemate.
1804Old chapel bell-tower demolished, new library extension built, clock-tower erected on roof of library.
1813Queens' resolves to end the dispute with StCatharine's (see 1799). The two strips of land plus all the rest that remained of the old Tennis Court Garden were sold to StCatharine's for 1372.
1813The Town Corporation grant to Mr Robert Brown the land on the Small Bridges causeway between the road and the ditch forming the southern boundary of the 1475 island purchase, on Fee Farm of 3 per year (see 1841).
1819Queens' sells the Printing House and site (see 1655) to the University for 750.
1819?Battlements erected in Old Court.
1819-22Stained glass by Charles Muss inserted in Hall (removed 1854-8) and Combination Room.
1820Library re-roofed and repaired.
1822Paint removed from oak panelling in the Audit Room.
1822Statutes and Interpretations collected, edited, printed and bound by G.C. Gorham.
1823Form of Service for Commemoration of Benefactors edited, printed and bound, probably also by G.C. Gorham. The name of the college is spelt Queens' with the apostrophe after the s, the earliest instance of this seen in print.
1823-6New furniture purchased for the President's Lodge from MrElliot Smith.
1823Battlements added to Walnut Tree Building. Great Gate re-roofed.
1827Catalogue of Library by T.H. Horne published. The name of the college is spelt Queen's, with the apostrophe before the s, throughout (see 1823 and 1831).
1831The spelling of the college's name in the calendar changes from Queen's to Queens' (see 1823)
1831Earliest known record of the college Boat Club.
1831The time of Dinner moved from 3o'clock to 4o'clock.
1833Assumed date when the Professor of Anatomy vacated the Anatomical Schools (see 1786) and moved to new University accommodation.
1835Gas lighting installed.
1836Queens' re-purchased (see 1819) Old Printing House and site from the University for 3600.
1836Queens' sold site of Old Printing House (see 1655) , Anatomical Schools (see 1786) and Dokett Almshouses (see 1484) to StCatharine's Hall for 79652s.10d.
1836Queens' erected almshouses on site now occupied by Dokett Building, to replace those sold.
1836Date enscribed on decorative chimney stacks over Old Hall.
1837Rooms D1 and D2 under the Library were appropriated to the use of the Library.
1838Party walls erected as a fire precaution.
1840Significant alterations in the Library. Probably the 1804 building was internally altered and the present staircase built, with a new doorway into the Lower Library (see 1837).
1841The ditch parallel with Silver Street connecting Queens' Ditch to the main stream of the Cam was filled in and thus the former island site was no more. Presumably by this time Queens' had acquired the land between the ditch and the road (see 1813), comprising houses known as Nos 1 and 2 Newnham, and a builder's yard.
1845Flat ceiling of Chapel removed, present coved ceiling built in imitation of old.
1846Flat ceiling of Hall removed; new roof, bell-tower and louvre created to the design of Dawkes.
1846-8Stained glass inserted in East and North windows of Chapel (removed 1925).
1848Clock-tower erected to the design of Raphael Brandon (taken down 1909).
1854Oriel of Hall restored, new stained glass inserted by Hardman.
Old glass by Muss (see 1819-22) moved to President's Lodge.
1854Choral services re-introduced in Chapel.
1857Paint removed from oak panelling in the Long Gallery.
1857-9Side windows of Hall raised in height with new tracery to the design of John Johnson, architect, and new stained glass by Hardman of Birmingham.
Possible date of erection of battlements over Hall in Cloister Court.
1858-61Chapel completely restored by G.F. Bodley.
1860Statutes reformed: Fellows allowed to marry, and not required to be in holy orders, under certain conditions.
1861-2New fireplace in Hall by Bodley, overmantel tiles by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.
1862New tiled floor in Hall.
1862StBernard Society (debating club) founded
1863Saying of Grace before and after Dinner introduced or revised.
1864Eleven coats of arms over Hall fireplace designed by Philip Webb.
1864Date of tower clock mechanism, by T. Cooke & Sons of York.
1865Present High Table and chairs purchased.
1866-7Wooden bridge rebuilt with slopes instead of steps.
1867History of College, Part 1, 1446-1560, by W.G. Searle published.
1868Queens' leased the house(s) on the corner of Silver Street and Trumpington Street to W.M.Fawcett, who built a large new house there (now a tailor's shop). The lease did not provide, as earlier leases had done, that the best room or lodging in the house should be reserved for the Rector of StBotolph's. This was not a problem at that time, as the Rector was a resident Fellow, but would become one later.
1871History of College, Part 2, 1560-1662, by W.G. Searle, published.
1871-2Further minor changes to Chapel to the design of G.F.Bodley.
1873Lawn for out of door games prepared on land west of the river.
1873Ford Madox Brown designs tiles to be made by Morris & Co. of Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville, incorporated into overmantel in Hall.
1874Fives Court constructed. Survived, though disused, until Cripps Court constructed.
1875Hall decorated to Bodley's design by F.R.Leach.
1875East frontage of Old Court restored by W.M.Fawcett.
1881Amalgamated Clubs created out of the tennis, cricket, and rugby clubs.
1881Jointly with StCatharine's, Queens' bought a sports field at the corner of Newnham Road and Barton Road.
1883College assumed responsibility for furnishing student rooms. Previously a student purchased from the previous tenant, and sold on to the next.
1884First soccer match played by College.
1884StMargaret Society founded.
1885New lecture room made (presumably west of river).
1886-7Friar's Building erected to the design of W.M.Fawcett. First occupied October 1887.
1888-91New Chapel erected to the design of G.F.Bodley.
Three stained glass windows by Hardman moved from south windows of old Chapel to new.
New stained glass in east and north windows by Kempe. Organ by J.J. Binns.
1892After closure of the old Chapel, it was agreed to send the choir stalls to Little Eversden, the oak lectern to Sandon, and two of the choir desks to Oakington. The reredos was moved to StMark's, Barton Road.
1892New student rooms made on E staircase following the removal of the organ loft for Old Chapel.
1896-8College connected to main sewerage system and sewers laid throughout college.
1897Central heating and electric lighting installed in President's Lodge, to the design of T.D. Atkinson.
1897Side panelling in new Chapel extended to east end.
1898Friars' Gate made.
1899Ante-Chapel floor relaid, with tablets, etc. (? presumably the Old Chapel)
1899Boar's Head shields and Eagles made for iron gates to Silver Street.
1899Electric lighting installed throughout college by Messrs Drake & Gorham.
1900Linenfold panelling (see 1531) moved from old servants' hall (see 1732) to the President's Study above the Combination Room.
1901Boiler installed for heating Chapel, Library and Hall. (Presumably this is the underground boilerhouse in Walnut Tree Court adjacent to the Munro Room).
1903Alterations made in the riverside buildings of the President's Lodge, to the design of Thackeray H. Turner.
1903Water mains and fire hydrants installed throughout college.
1905Wooden bridge completely rebuilt.
1907Northmost almshouse demolished and site sold to King's College.
Queens' bought Sports Ground on Barton Road from King's College.
1907First telephones installed for the President, Senior Bursar, and Porters' Lodge.
1909Battlements removed from Hall, N and W sides of Old Court.
Brandon clock-tower demolished and replaced with present one 1910, to the design of C.G. Hare.
1909WCs and bicycle sheds erected.
1909New iron bridge over ditch from tip of Grove to Queens' Green (see 1684). Iron guard under bridge to prevent boats passing up the ditch.
1909Ground floor rooms of Walnut Tree Court repaired and restored.
1911Set now known as Cloister 2 created, and adjacent WCs.
1911Long Gallery plaster removed, finished in half-timbered style, to the design of C.G.Hare.
1911-12Almshouses (1836) demolished. Dokett Building erected to the design of C.G.Hare. First occupied October 1912.
1912Plaster ceiling removed from President's Study, revealing rafters.
Plaster ceiling removed from Combination Room, revealing rafters.
Paint removed from oak panelling in Combination Room.
1912Kitchens enlarged. Staircase I, Erasmus Room and attics above altered.
1914Telephone exchange installed, with extensions to all Fellows.
Pay telephone installed in the Bernard Room (now Erasmus Room).
1923New plaster ceiling to Long Gallery to the design of C.G.Hare.
Cloisters beside President's Lodge kitchen given studwork appearance.
1925-6Old Chapel: remaining stained glass taken down and sent to Little Eversden. Panelling removed. Floor made flat. Made into Lecture Room.
1926Battlements removed from E and S sides of Old Court.
1926First Junior Common Room created in the Bernard Room (now Erasmus Room), under the management of the Committee of the United Clubs.
1932New gates made from yard to Silver Street (demolished 1935).
1932Kennett Library bequeathed to College and made into Oriental Library in attics above the Library.
1934Interior of E staircase, Old Court, gutted and rebuilt to the design of G.C. Drinkwater. Porters' Lodge moved from south side of gate tower to north. Drinkwater was to be the architect of Fisher Building (see 1936), and many design features of his work in E staircase can be seen again in Fisher.
1935Railings removed from front of College in Queens' Lane.
1935 MayNos 1 and 2 Newnham, the builder's yard (see 1841) and all other buildings west of the river (except that destined to become the Fitzpatrick Hall) demolished.
1936Small exchange of land with Borough Council to permit Silver Street to be widened, and for College to straighten its boundary with Queens' Green. Queens' Ditch was filled in from Silver Street back to its present end-point, and converted to conduit.
1936Fisher Building and Squash Courts erected. Former stables (see 1697) converted to Fitzpatrick Hall. All to the design of G.C.Drinkwater. Fisher Building first occupied October 1936.
1936Bridge from tip of Grove to Queens' Green removed. Posts and chain put across ditch.
1937Junior Common Room moved into Fitzpatrick Hall.
1938-9Essex Building underpinned after the river had washed away its foundations.
The college planned to demolish Essex Building to allow Silver Street to be widened, and erect a smaller building by Drinkwater. Plans for Silver Street vetoed by Ministry of Transport.
1947Fisher Building flooded. River wall collapsed.
1949Queen Elizabeth (now Queen Mother) becomes Patroness.
1950Start of conversion of Friars' Building from 2 sets to 4 bedsits per landing.
1951-2Old Chapel fitted out as War Memorial Library.
1951?Louvre by Dawkes (see 1846) removed from Hall.
1952New Chapel decoration restored by S.E. Dykes Bower.
1957Kitchens refitted, and expand into the bedroom of C2.
1959North Room and Middle Room created behind the Fitzpatrick Hall.
1959-60Erasmus Building erected to the design of Basil Spence. First occupied October 1960.
1961Hall decoration repainted.
1961 June 5Formal opening of Erasmus Building by H.M. The Queen Mother, Patroness.
1964New Pavilion completed at Sports Ground, Barton Road.
1964Erasmus Room refitted and furnished as an overflow Hall.
1965Former Lower Library (see 1837) made into a new extension of the Combination Room, and named the Munro Room.
1965Old Court lawns altered, planting beds made, and court repaved.
1965Hot and cold running water introduced into Old Court. Central heating also.
1967South eastern tower of Old Court, at junction of Queens' Lane and Silver Street, rebuilt.
1968Council of the College Union, and JCR Committee, created and assumed the organisational role of the Committee of the United Clubs (which ceased to exist), plus new representational roles.
1969College Bar opened in ground floor of Fitzpatrick Hall.
1969College converted from 200 to 240 volt electricity, and from town to natural gas.
1969A student demonstration (against guest regulations and gate hours) in Cloister Court resulted in a snowball shattering an ancient piece of stained glass in the Long Gallery.
1970Cripps Court Phase 1 started, to the design of Powell, Moya & Partners.
Orchard wall of 1667-72 demolished except for northern side, which survived.
1971Fitzpatrick Hall demolished.
1971Oriental Library converted to Law Library. The Kennett collection was sent on loan to the Oriental Studies Faculty.
1974 OctCripps Court Phase 1 (AA to DD and most of EE) completed, first students move in.
1974-6Central heating installed in Fisher Building.
1975The Porters' Lodge moved from Old Court to Fisher Building.
New JCR and Bar opened in Cripps Court.
1978 MayGardens and Grove flooded, Cripps Court basement flooded.
1979 JanCripps Court Kitchens and Dining Hall open (first part of Phase 2 to complete).
1980Partial collapse of river wall of Grove.
1980Four student rooms in Friars' Building converted to baths, WCs, and showers.
1980 OctAdmission of women.
1981The remainder of EE and the whole of FF staircase completed, first occupied April 1981. Buttery and Shop open.
1983Cripps Court launderette, toilets and Angevin Room completed. Phase 2 complete.
1983Cloister staircase stripped back to studwork and redecorated as half-timbering, and a blocked doorway to the President's Lodge re-opened.
1983Substantial repairs to Long Gallery, including complete replastering. President's Lodge re-roofed. President's Housekeeper's Flat extended. Visitors' Cloakroom extended into old offices.
1983-4The BBC film a series on Queens', a Cambridge College.
1983-4Room C1 restored to residential use after having been part of the old kitchens.
1985Essex Building roof re-slated.
1985Cripps Court Phase 1 re-roofed.
1986 JuneBoathouse demolished. New Boathouse started.
1986 JulySquash Courts demolished. Cripps Court Phase 3 started, to the design of Bland, Brown & Cole.
1987 FebBoat Club move into new Boathouse.
1988 JulyOwlstone Croft purchased. Block A and part of Block B first occupied October 1988.
1989Cripps Court Phase 3 completed. The new theatre is called the Fitzpatrick Hall.
1989 OctRemainder of Owlstone Croft Block B occupied.
 ... more to come